Monday, August 7, 2017

Summer Reading Challenge Final Update

I call it the "final' update but it's actually the first if you don't count the random mentions I made in other posts.
I have to say I'm more than a bit discouraged. My reading habits just suck.

This has been a hard(-ish) year for me, I know it can be worse so totally counting my blessings there (actually I tried counting all the good and had a better time counting all the bad things I don't have), and I've just... I don't even know!
You wanna know what I've been doing instead of reading? Staring at the wall! Just staring off daydreaming. Honestly, I've always been a daydream all day type so not something to overthink and I can't say it's gotten worse. But lately it's been: read a few pages, stare off into space, read a paragraph, off again.

Maybe it's the books? Maybe I'm in desperate need for a change of scenery? Maybe, most likely, it's a hazard of being freelance and having to work from home? Especially when, like right now, my internet keeps cutting off so it takes longer to get things done. That and my computer is right beside my bed so it's basically like working in a confined cell.
Maybe it's that this house is never empty and I for some reason can't focus (or get remotely comfortable) when I know there's someone lurking around.

I keep thinking back to the days I could spend hours just reading; although now that I think of it that was back when I had the place to myself. Or had to de-stress from being stuck with my sister's kid.

Comparing this year's Goodreads reading challenge with last year's it doesn't seem like there's been too much of a difference, so maybe I'm just overthinking and completely forgetting that these are probably the same habits (both for reading and blogging) that I have had in past years too.

But then comparing this year's summer challenge to last years; it looks like I'm not even trying. By this point last year I had read 7 of the main 10, I started the last 3 but wasn't able to finish, mainly because 2 bored me that I gave up on them anyway.

This year: I've only read 4!
  1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass
  2. Hunted by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki
  3. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie READ JUNE 15
  4. Hustler by Meghan Quinn
  5. Royce Rolls by Margaret Stohl READ JUNE 23
  6. The Curse of Capistrano (aka The Mark of Zorro) by Johnston McCulley READ JULY 7
  7. The Heir by Kiera Cass 
  8. Royal Crush by Meg Cabot READ JULY 25
  9. Tempting Sydney by Angela Corbett
  10. Days of Blood and Starlight by Lani Taylor
  11. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I'm currently working on 3 but I just can't.

Whatever thoughts are going through my mind apparently aren't new, as I mentioned above, every September I do that "I'm going back to a "normal' schedule" post so clearly summers are always lacking, though I think this year has been worse since I haven't moved past the "This is my last year blogging, why bother anymore?" attitude. It's gotten so bad that I'm actually falling behind on my reviews now. Of course that's also because of the reading slump, but back in June I finished all scheduled reviews and just decided to go with the flow (but still scheduled enough that I don't fall behind) I started one book and well only made it past page 1.

I'm kind of taking comfort in something I wrote last year during my Summer Challenge conclusion/Return to "Normal post":
I don't know what the cause of this lull is, a part of me is kind of thinking that maybe it's the start of the end of my 15 year love affair with books.
What a horrible thought!

That has been a recurring thought this year; what if it's not just a slump, what if books just don't have the same appeal to me anymore? It's been, now, 16 years; things and people change.
Before I let myself fall into that thought process; the comforting part of my saying that last year: I've read like 70 books since!
Clearly this romance isn't ending anytime soon.

I just need to find that groove again and maybe a pretty amazing book.

No comments:

Post a Comment